With more than 20 years of experience of working within the field of capital allowances, I have worked within accountancy and property consultancy firms, leading the national teams for delivery of capital allowances claims. Throughout this time I have participated in various HMRC consultations, plus written articles within tax journals, capital allowances aspects within Wessex construction pricing books and reviewing the capital allowances aspects within a British Council for Offices Guide to Specification 2014.
Through this experience I have been able to help clients to drive down their tax liabilities by identifying the correct level of capital allowances to be claimed, advising on solutions with a particular focus on property purchases and construction projects. My projects have ranged in size and nature across the full gamut of property, including custodial, transport, infrastructure, renewables, healthcare, commercial, retail and residential sectors. Many clients have made capital allowances claims previously and have since benefitted from my knowledge of this complex area leading to significant uplifts in those previous claims.
My experience includes:
- working with clients to deliver their capital allowances needs for purchases and construction projects, including supporting non resident landlords, funds and real estate investors
- leading statistical sampling reviews, including negotiation with the CRM and technical team at HMRC for the retail, leisure and other multi-site operators
- delivering a land remediation relief and capital allowances guidance manuals and templates including agreement of the treatments outlined in the manual with HMRC and valuation office for housebuilders, retailer, banks and other multi-site operators
- Delivering significant tax relief uplifts on projects for property investors when compared to the previous advisers claim
- Presenting on all aspects of capital allowances including for trainees preparing for Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors exams, technical updates internally and for the Chartered Institute of Tax.
Outside of work I enjoy spending time with my family, walking, watching rugby and occasionally kicking a football.
- CTA (Chartered Tax Adviser)
- LLB (hons)
- Post graduate diploma in Legal Practice