Having initially trained in audit, I have spent the past 21 years specialising in corporation tax, managing companies' UK and international corporate income tax affairs, as well as coordinating the delivery of consultancy services for corporate and other taxes. My career to date has focused mainly around London and the surrounding area, although the rapidly expanding nature of most of the groups of companies I work with means that my clients stretch right across the UK and internationally.
My main priority is to get a good understanding of my clients' business strategy and to work with them in ensuring this can be executed in a way that is tax compliant and efficient. This gets me involved in assisting groups with their international tax structures, supply chains and financing arrangements, as well as working closely with colleagues in other areas of taxation such as employee benefits and compliance, indirect taxes, innovation reliefs, as well as deciphering a whole remit of obscure overseas tax compliance obligations that invariably arise – ably assisted by my overseas colleagues.
I head up our tourism, travel and leisure sector, working with a wide range of businesses to deliver advice on:
- legal and operational structures and trading models, taking into account international tax, regulatory and indirect tax consequences, including the tour operators margin scheme (TOMS)
- transfer pricing aspects
- legal entity elimination and group structure simplification
- implications for a mobile workforce (expatriate tax packages)
- capital allowances claims
- tax incentives for research and development expenditure
- M&A support including due diligence.
Outside work I enjoy my holidays and good long walks in the country. I sporadically try to improve my Spanish language skills although probably more for the amusement of my overseas colleagues than anything else.
- CTA (Chartered Tax Adviser)