With a focus on complex and often international commercial disputes, I lead forensic accounting engagements, frequently with an investigation element. Working with clients and their lawyers, I have specialised in forensic work since 2009, having previously trained and worked in audit. I have experience of over 50 forensic engagements.
I have recent experience in assisting clients with tracing cash flows and calculating damages in civil fraudulent misappropriation litigation and international arbitration. I also help prepare expert forensic valuation reports for commercial disputes. I have acted on business sale and purchase agreement (SPA) disputes, shareholder disputes, professional negligence claims and supplier contractual disputes. I also have experience of expert determinations in either assisting the determiner or helping clients make their case.
I have performed investigations of various types, including into failed banks, accounting irregularities, fraud and corruption and regulatory/governance issues. I have a particular interest in loss quantification in competition damages cases.
My experience of cashflow tracing in civil fraud cases includes:
- acting for the state in an Eastern European International Arbitration claim (SCC) in the oil and gas industry
- assisting a manufacturing company in a Kazakh fraudulent misappropriation claim (UK High Court)
- investigations for a Middle Eastern bank into a failed property investment in Turkey (in advance of proceedings)
My experience of contentious forensic valuations includes:
- valuing a financial advice business in a legal professional negligence claim (UK High Court)
- valuing medical technology in auditor and valuer negligence claims (Hong Kong High Court)
- acting for the liquidator to value an Indonesian shipping company in a joint venture dispute (UK High Court)
Other recent commercial disputes experience includes acting in a dispute around the interpretation of accounting clauses in the SPA for a travel business (UK High Court), and assisting the purchaser of a professional consulting firm prepare submissions for an UK/US expert determination in a completion accounts dispute.
I enjoy travelling, including around Asia and South America, and have two energetic young daughters who keep me more than occupied outside of work.
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales