- Corporate and international tax Corporate and international tax
- Employer solutions Employer solutions
- Indirect tax Indirect tax
- Private client Private client
- Real estate tax
- Transaction and restructuring tax Transaction and restructuring tax
- Tax investigations and disputes Tax investigations and disputes
- Tax risk management Tax risk management
- Our approach to tax Our approach to tax
When a tax error is identified, you must make a choice as to how to address the risk.
We can advise the most appropriate approach to disclosing errors to HMRC, and on how things can be put right.
Voluntary disclosures to HMRC
The advantages of making a disclosure voluntarily include gaining greater control over the process when compared with HMRC investigation, and reduced tax penalties. Our team can assist you in considering the different possible approaches to making voluntary disclosure of tax liabilities to HMRC. These may include HMRC’s disclosure facilities, for example the Digital Disclosure Service and Worldwide Disclosure Facility.
Where a HMRC disclosure facility is recommended we can:
- complete the initial application
- conduct an analysis of the source documentation to identity any additional taxable amounts
- calculate the additional tax - taking account of the taxpayers declared position and the extent to which tax allowances and bands have already been utilised
- produce a report narrative for submission to HMRC to support our analysis
- submit the disclosure to HMRC
- deal with any queries that may arise from HMRC’s review of our disclosure report, and if necessary, meet with HMRC to reach settlement.
Making disclosures after HMRC interventions
If a you have received a HMRC intervention, for example a 'nudge' letter, an enquiry letter or a records inspection, it is not too late to appoint tax investigation specialists to prepare and submit a disclosure of tax liabilities. The benefits of doing so will minimise your risk, and potentially result in an early settlement with HMRC.
+44 (0)121 2325 425Find out more