- Corporate and international business taxes Corporate and international business taxes
- Employer solutions Employer solutions
- Indirect tax Indirect tax
- Managing tax risk Managing tax risk
- Private client Private client
- Real estate tax
- Transaction and restructuring tax Transaction and restructuring tax
Most people consider inheritance tax (IHT) to be a tax on death.
However, it can also affect you in your lifetime. You need to think about IHT if undertaking a transaction or changing your asset profile from one which qualifies for business property relief (BPR) to something which does not. IHT also is payable when you make transfers into most trusts.
Helping you reduce your inheritance tax liability
IHT can be a big burden for many people, not just those with large estates. Without the right planning, you could pass on just 60% of your wealth to your loved ones. They might even need to sell assets to pay the IHT. This could be especially distressing if the asset is the family business.
+44 (0)121 232 5161Find out more
Our approach is to listen to what you want to achieve, then provide advice and solutions to match. For example, a well-drafted will can significantly reduce or eliminate your IHT liability, enabling you to pass on more of your wealth to future generations.
What's more, using certain exemptions and reliefs, such as BPR, we can structure your affairs to achieve your objectives and limit your exposure to IHT. This might involve setting up an appropriate onshore or offshore trust.
You can benefit from the following areas of expertise:
- using exemptions and reliefs
- structuring your business to ensure it qualifies for business property relief
- IHT efficient structuring of businesses
- tax efficient drafting of your wills
- use of trusts (onshore and offshore) as part of your wealth planning
- non-UK domiciled individuals