The Sunday Times Grant Thornton Top Track 250 list was published this week. Find out the top 10 mid-market champions in 2013, plus join our summit series on unlocking growth potential in UK mid-sized businesses.
This is the fourth year in which Grant Thornton has been the proud headline partner of the annual Top Track 250 league table, compiled by Fast Track. The league table ranks the next tier of 250 UK companies after the Top Track 100 for their latest sales – provided they have also either increased sales or operating profit.
So, who are this year's growth champions of the UK mid-market? Here is the list of top performers – click on each company name to find out more about them on the Fast Track site.
Top 10 in the Sunday Times Grant Thornton Top Track 250
- Virgin Active, health club operator
- Firth Rixson, aerospace manufacturer
- Camelot UK Lotteries, lottery operator
- Lycamobile, prepaid calling-card provider
- Pets At Home, pet products retailer
- Edrington, whisky and rum distiller
- City Electrical Factors, electrical parts wholesaler
- ERM, environmental consultancy
- The Miller Group, housebuilder, property developer
- Domestic & General, warranty provider
Five key themes from 2013
1. Dynamic companies – A quarter of companies (66) increased their profit by at least 10% in the latest year despite sales growth of less than 10% or falling sales. Some exited non-core and unprofitable businesses or identified operational efficiencies, whereas others diversified their business model or grew overseas.
2. Workforce – Three-quarters of the league table (196) increased their headcount via organic growth or acquisitions, and many were recognised for their progressive staff policies.
3. Family businesses – 29% of companies on this year’s league table are family-owned, many with at least two generations involved in the running of the business.
4. Planned flotations – Seven companies have declared their intention to raise finance through an initial public offering (IPO). Bargain Booze was the only company from last year's table to list shares on a stock exchange this year.
5. Brands – The league table contains a wide selection of retail and consumer brands. Many have diversified away from the high street, while others are tapping into overseas markets with high consumer demand.
Read the full information in this Fast Track report (PDF).
Have your say at our Agents of growth summits
Grant Thornton represents many dynamic companies in the UK mid-market and we want to push this engine of the UK economy, unlock the growth potential of mid-sized businesses and help present their case to government.
We are shortly holding a series of Agents for Growth summits around the UK, bringing together business leaders from across the country to discuss challenges, share high performance strategies and give a voice to mid-sized companies that will reach across boardrooms and seats of government.