I have worked in, and consulted to, the general insurance industry for nearly 25 years. I focus on the provision of practical advice to enable clients to make informed management decisions in financial and operational matters. Prior to joining Grant Thornton in 2006, I was the chief actuary at a general insurance company.
My extensive experience in the general insurance sector includes:
- establishing and leading in-house actuarial functions
- Solvency II
- developing capital models
- estimating claims reserves
- pricing of portfolios and individual risks
- fulfilling the role of the Independent Expert on Part VII transfers
- Section 166 Skilled Person reviews
- actuarial due diligence for mergers and acquisitions
- fulfilling the role of the Scheme Actuary on Schemes of Arrangement
- developing and implementing management information systems
- providing advice and guidance to boards and senior management teams.
I currently sit on both the council and the management board of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries ((IFoA). I am also a member of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries' general insurance board. In addition, I was formerly chairman of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries' general insurance education and CPD committee, and am a former member of its education board, education committee, and general insurance reserving oversight committee.
I am happily married. I used to have hobbies but now I have two daughters instead.